Depression is one of the most common mental illnesses across the globe. With so many people suffering, one would think that psychotherapy and antidepressants would be more common. However, due to various reasons, many who suffer from depression never seek out or receive any treatment for their condition. When depression creeps in, most find it increasingly difficult to function in day-to-day life. Enjoyment becomes impossible, which makes it even harder to persevere and persist through obstacles—a necessary ability for anyone who hopes to flourish and prosper in their personal or professional lives.

When the symptoms of depression in mammals were studied more closely, the most common ones were changes in appetite, loss of sexual interest, and lethargy. According to this Psychiatric Times article (https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/bipolar-disorder/light-treatment-nonseasonal-depression), for mammals, these responses are believed to be regulated by the amount, intensity, and duration of light they are exposed to. When mammals are exposed to longer periods of high intensity light—like in the summer—they become more aggressive and sexual. When compared to their behavior from the opposite—less frequent and less intense periods of light, like in the Fall or winter— their behavior flips: they become less sexual and less active.

Around the world, researchers have conducted a number of trials to test this theory, and to test the efficacy of light therapy for depression—for the treatment of both seasonal and chronic depression. The trials found that light therapy for depression was able to relieve the symptoms more rapidly than either a traditional selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI)—like Prozac—or psychotherapy. The symptomatic relief was much faster—often within a week or two—when compared to the typical 12 to 16 weeks it takes for the benefits of an SSRI to take effect. This depression treatment is especially useful when used in the first two weeks of starting an SSRI, since the light therapy will take effect before the medication make any noticeable difference.

For most cases of seasonal affective disorder (SAD), light therapy is a fantastic supplement to an already formidable depression treatment regimen. Antidepressants like Prozac have enabled some—roughly 40%—of depressed patients to enjoy their lives once again. However, for the other 60% who fail to find adequate relief, supplementing their SSRI with only light therapy may not be enough. When this happens, a more effective depression treatment—like ketamine infusions—may be the solution. Especially combined with natural depression treatments like light therapy, ketamine infusions are highly effective and rapid-acting. In fact, nearly 70% of patients who try ketamine infusions experience positive results and are able to, ultimately resume living their lives joyfully.

Contact Tahoe Ketamine

Our ketamine clinic, Tahoe Ketamine, specializes in ketamine infusions for depression and other treatment-resistant mental and physical conditions.  If you want to learn about your options and discover whether you are a candidate for ketamine for depression, give our Lake Tahoe ketamine clinic a call today, or contact us using the brief form below. One of our experienced clinicians will be happy to answer any questions you may have or schedule you for a free consultation.