Every person is unique, and that means that our mental health situations need to be unique as well. A depression treatment that works for one person may not work for another. It may seem overwhelming when seeking options to treat your downward spiral into depression, but it may help to know what factors are most important to consider when speaking with your doctor about the best antidepressant drugs for your symptoms. These factors include:
1. Discuss potential side effects: Which drugs are less likely to impact you in a negative way? Which side effects are you not willing to deal with, for example, weight gain or energy loss? Understanding the side effects that may manifest can make your depression treatment a more sustainable solution.
2. Review your symptoms: Everyone’s depressive symptoms manifest differently. Discuss your unique symptoms and ask your doctor to recommend the most appropriate antidepressant.
3. Consider the health insurance cost and see if your depression medication is covered.
4. Your depression treatment may react with other medications you are taking, so make sure you discuss adverse interactions with your doctor.
5. Is a close relative struggling with depression as well, or did they in the past? This may be the key to finding what depression medications will work best for you. Our DNA is similar to our blood relatives, so it makes sense. Find out what worked—and what didn’t work—for them!
6. Are you pregnant or breastfeeding, but struggling with postpartum depression? Antidepressants can help, but—in rare circumstances—can result in birth defects. Talk to your doctor about your options.
7. Some antidepressants may work to treat more than just your depressive symptoms—for example, some also help with nerve pain. Find out if you can kill two birds with one stone.
Besides antidepressant drugs, there are other methods for depression treatment: ketamine infusions, psychotherapy, and talk therapy, and natural remedies for depression. Some other depression treatment options include:
1. Sleep studies; you may not even know that your sleep is problematic and exacerbating your depressive symptoms
2. Behavioral therapies, such as CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy), can help reform healthy connections in your brain…similar to the way that ketamine therapy works!
3. Art or music therapy
4. “Homework,” for example, staying involved with friends, exercising, writing down your thoughts and feelings, and even the simple art of sticking to a routine.
Along with holistic approaches and depression medication, you need to be patient with yourself and give depression medication time to relieve your symptoms. That said, up to 60% of patients may not respond to traditional antidepressants. In that situation, ketamine becomes a highly viable—and highly effective—option for depression treatment. Our Tahoe area ketamine clinic has seen the amazing results of ketamine first-hand. Ketamine infusions reduce depressive symptoms in up to 70% of patients, even those with severe treatment-resistant cases. The results allow people to return to joy and happiness, and to begin enjoying their lives again.
Contact Tahoe Ketamine
If you or a loved one is suffering from depression or another mood disorder, contact our staff for a free consultation. We are happy to answer any questions you may have about ketamine infusion therapy or any of the wellness services that we offer. We look forward to helping you become the best version of yourself.